Monday, November 5, 2012

Professional Learning Plan (CEP 812)


Coming into this course, I wanted to learn how I could integrate technology more deeply into my teaching. I have always been interested in the correlation between student understanding and the methods in which we teach. Using technology to create more engaging and informative classrooms was my goal from the start. Overall, I believe that my experiences in this class (and CEP 800) have helped me to move towards this objective.

At the start of this course I wanted to learn more about the TPACK model and how it could be integrated into my curriculum. I also wanted to be pushed to use technologies in new and interesting ways. At the end of the course, I feel like I achieved both of these goals. My understanding of the TPACK model has improved, and I am better able to reflect on my own teaching because of it. I gained invaluable experience in planning, implementing, and reflecting on an implementation of a technology through the WPP project.
In reflecting on the last two months of classes, there are few major goals that I want to focus on. Many of the lessons and activities that I participated within in CEP 812 have made me think about my future teaching. My specific goals are listed below:

Skills that I’d like to Gain:

·         Positive Affect- When planning any activity that involves technology I often try and think about the logistics of how it will be performed. I try to be meticulous and plan for a multitude of outcomes. What I often forgot to do, however, is create a positive aesthetic in my creation. This blog is a good example of this practice. I put time and effort into creating functional pieces, but fail to great pieces that “look” good. As I learned in CEP 800, positive aesthetics create positive affects. Things that look good tend to be internalized by students in a better fashion. As I move forward and understand more about the technology, I will be able to put more time and effort into the look and feel of the technologies that I use. They need to be functional AND look good.
·         Understanding of Technologies Impact on Cognitive Functioning- In CEP 800, we learned about the effect of, effect with, and effect through technology. These concepts truly intrigue me. When using technology it is easy to see that it can create a positive learning environment. For me, I would love to learn more about why this environment is created. I want to be able to answer the question, “How does this particular technology impact learning of a student?” Are the students performing better because of the technology, or are they transforming their thought processes because of the technology? I love this type of analysis and am intrigued with the differing theories about how we learn best. This understanding will help me be a better teacher and mentor to others within my school.
·         Professional Learning- Schools often put a huge focus on professional development. I find that many teachers are looking for quick technology additions for their lessons. The technology is used, but does not offer anything besides a positive aesthetic. By itself, this might not be horrible, but the technology could be used for so much more. I would love to learn how to prepare and create learning experiences (instead of just PD) that helps teachers transform their teaching. Effective uses of technology cannot be done piece by piece. There must be a wholesale ideological shift in order for teachers to improve their teaching.

How I Will Become a Better Teacher:

Throughout the next year (and beyond) I plan on meeting the goals that I have listed above. In order to do so, I will continue to read educational research and will attempt to expand my PLN. I will continue to reflect on my own teaching and will try not to become discouraged when things do not work out perfectly.
·         Technology can be frustrating, but I continue to make these troubling times a learning experience. Just as I practice in my classroom, every opportunity that presents a struggle is a teachable moment.  
·         Over the years my PLN has expanded immensely. I find that I am exposed to wonderful teaching ideas and ideologies through Twitter and Facebook. While I don’t use these services as much as I want, I plan on implementing them more throughout the year and beyond. I also am attempting to make use of the personal connections within my own school and community.
·         I love reading about student understanding. Without knowing how students interpret information teaching is less effective. I plan on continuing my understanding by reading a large variety of texts on the topic.

Specific Goals for the Next Year:

While the previously mentioned goals are fairly general, I do have a few specific goals for the next year. Over this time I plan on completing the MAET program. I have three specific goals for this time period.
·         Through the MAET program, I plan on focusing on the ways in which technology leads to student understanding. With each implementation of technology, I plan on analyzing how students may internalize the content because of the technology used. I will attempt to create learning environments that use technology to transform student thought about my content.

·         The WPP project showed me how effective the use of clickers can be in the classroom. My teaching typically includes a fair amount of formative assessment. The clickers, however, took this to a whole new level. They provided me with instant feedback that I could use to inform my teaching. Over the next year I plan to use these more extensively in a wider variety of classes. I will be focusing on creating predefined questions as well as using the instant question option. My WPP project showed a correlation between those that use clickers in this manner and student success on my assessment. I hope to ingrain these devices more deeply within my teaching.

·         Over the next year, I plan on taking a bigger leadership role within my school. Over the past two years, I have taught a few PD’s on a specific technology, but I have never done so in a way that focuses on professional learning (instead of PD). I plan on pushing myself to help my fellow teachers create classrooms that use technology at their core (instead of just as an addition). I find that when I teach a topic I become better versed in its intricacies. I learn from my students and my teaching improves. By pushing myself to complete more PD opportunities I will become a better teacher.

The next year is going to fun and interesting. I love the opportunity to work within the MAET program and I believe that I am a better teacher because of it!

I thought that I’d share some of my favorite resources that I’ve learned about (and used more frequently) because of this course! They’ve truly helped make me a better teacher!

Resources for teachers:

Classroom Tools:

No comments:

Post a Comment